Friday, June 8, 2012

Do You Remember?

An offer on Deals.Woot.com from Overstock.com this week sparked a trip down memory lane for my husband and me. They had an offer for aHogan's Heroes: the Komplete Series, Kommandant's Kollection (DVD)ll six seasons on DVD of Hogan’s Heroes for something like $60. We talked about how we both watched this in rerun form in the afternoons after school.
This then led to more talk about all the great and not so great shows that we would watch after school and before regular prime time programming. Read along and I’m sure, if you are over the age of 35, you probably will smile a little as you remember along with me.
Tops on the list was Gilligan’s Island. I think I probably saw each episode at least two or three times. Everything from the first episode to the one with the giant spider to the professor working to fix that darn radio. I watched The Brady Bunch and Peter was my favorite. Greg was too tall and that curly hair was too crazy. But when Marsha got to meet Davy Jones I was jealous as The Monkees started off every Saturday morning for me, followed by H. R. Pufnstuf and Jimmy. I was so young that I didn’t know about all the innuendo in that show. And it was during that time with Davy and Jimmy that I found my love of a good English accent. Sadly we lost Davy Jones this year and Jack Wild (Jimmy) died in 2006. And talking about crushes who didn’t love David Cassidy on The Partridge Family and his puka shell necklace.
 



There were some shows that I envied the living accommodations more than anything. I couldn’t decide if I wanted to live in Jeannie’s bottle or if I’d rather live with Uncle Bill and Mr. French in the New York City penthouse in Family Affair. Or in Beverly Hills with the Clampetts and their large winding staircase and big cement pond out back.
And I couldn’t decide if when I grew up I wanted to be That Girl or Agent 99 from Get Smart. But I think it was after the episode where she got her big toe stuck in the bowling ball that I opted not to be Marlo Thomas’ Ann Marie.
What would I do with Samantha’s powers from Bewitched. I know that I tried like heck to twitch my nose to see if I couldn’t transport myself somewhere. And even if he wasn’t gorgeous, I didn’t think Derwood was such a bad husband, except having that full body transplant between seasons. Who was your favorite Darren – Dick Sargent or Dick York? I think I liked Dick York more because he was so quirky.
Then there is a memory that happened later in my youth. When my husband and I were dating in college at the University of Kansas, we would spend the time leading up to the dinner hour watching Batman with Adam West and Burt Ward. The live action BAMs and KAPOWs were fabulous as was the shark that attacked Batman – so realistic it had to cost a fortune. Uh, yeah.
Now it appears the only place you can sometimes catch these shows is on a Nickelodeon channel or in a collection of DVDs or on the internet at places like Hulu.com or Youtube.com. But all it takes is a mere mention of a show to spark memories.
What show didn’t I mention that you foster great memories from?
TV Trivia – Did you know that Bette Nesmith Graham invented the correction fluid that later became known as Liquid Paper. Bette was the mother of Mike Nesmith from The Monkees.

2 comments:

  1. I loved F-Troop. Sgt Agorn cracked me up and I loved the commander even though I can't remember his name. I loved Hogans Heros too. Sorry that Richard Dawson is gone.

    Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. F-Troop, one that I completely forgot about. I remember Ken Berry. His character was somewhat clumsy but loveable.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete