Tuesday, May 22, 2012

It’s Been Two Years!!



That’s right, we’ve been waiting for new music from John Mayer for two years.  And it’s been a long wait.


Born and Raised is John’s new offering and the cover art had me anxious and excited to hear the tunes it contained.  Upon listening to the tracks, I am a little disappointed that they don’t live up to my expectations.


If you are looking for catchy rhythms and crazy guitar licks that have been the staple of John’s previous recordings, then you may be disappointed too.  This album is a departure from that.  Sure, there are a couple of tunes that could be considered to be in the style of the past, but most of the tracks go in a new direction.


That’s not to say this is bad.  I was just expecting the John Mayer vibe and he has changed and probably grown up along the way.  This collection is somewhat folksy and most of the instrumentation is acoustic guitar, steel and the like.


When searching the internet for information on the release date and previews, I came across a review done by a student from Steinbrenner High School in their News Magazine called the Oracle. The young man is named Jake Bittle and is the A&E Editor and after reading his review, I can see a bright future for him.  Jake has a done a wonderful job explaining this album and it is well worth the time to give him a read.http://oraclenewspaper.com/2012/05/16/john-mayer-packs-up-heads-territory-born-raised/


Overall, I recommend giving Born and Raised a listen. I like a few of the tracks and the rest are growing on me.  I was just looking for more of the laid back, bluesy rhythms of the past in a new wrapper.  If you are a vinyl freak, this is being sold in both CD and Vinyl formats, so check it out and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment