Friday, November 16, 2012

Demise of the Ding Dong Dealership

Today there was a terrible incident that caused the death of Twinkie the Kid, King Ding Dong, and Captain Cupcake – all registered trademark friends of Hostess Brands, Inc.  These were iconic characters from my youth and yours.  And that’s likely one of the reasons that the company had to fold.  While I enjoyed these items in my youth and when my kids were packing lunches for school it has been years since I’ve purchased these treats for  myself.  I can’t tell you how long it’s been since I’ve had a Hostess or Dolly Madison product in my house.  Oh that’s a lie, I just remembered that they make the donettes that my husband and I pick up at the store every two or three weeks – Crap, what will we do now?
In their official announcement of closing here, Hostess Brands, Inc. stated on Friday, November 16, 2012 that it was winding down operations and requested permission from the U. S. Bankruptcy Court to begin selling off assets.
In news reports the company has stated that it will likely sell the brands, so our favorites might be back, but will we buy them?  Hoards of people are rushing to the stores to pick up the product before it sells outs.  I’m not sure if it’s because they wish to savor the products or if they will be trying to off-load them on internet auction sites or at flea markets. 
I have memories of the brand from my youth going with my mother to the production bakery in Wichita, KS.  With the aroma of fresh baked Wonder Bread in the air, we’d pick up bread and some treats and always Hostess Fruit Pies for my dad.  I can remember those being packed in his lunchbox all the time.
Back then when you bought Ding Dongs they were wrapped in thin aluminum foil.  After you unwrapped the product, you could make designs with the wrapper or you could ball it up and throw it at your classmates.
The product everyone is talking about in the news are Twinkies, but I was never a big fan.  My preferred choice was the Raspberry Zingers.  That mix of raspberry flavor with the coconut covering was delish.  But it has been over five years since I’ve bought a box of Zingers and now they are gone – perhaps forever.

1 comment:

  1. Raspberry zingers my favorite too. Better go get me some.

    ReplyDelete