Friday, May 18, 2012

But You Bought More…


The other day I was at the cash register in the grocery store trying to finish my shopping. I had stopped in to pick up 15 32 oz bottles of Powerade for my daughter and two items for dinner that night. The store was offering one of those buy 10 get 5 free coupon deals on Powerade.
The cashier finished with my order and I handed her the coupon. She appeared to be about 18 or 19 years old. She was a very cute young girl. She could have been anyone’s daughter.
 
http://www.ehow.com/cash-registers/

She looked at the coupon and down the belt and said that I couldn’t use the coupon. I asked her why not and she looked at me and honest to goodness said…”you bought more than 15 drinks.” I was dumbfounded and asked her what the problem was – I was sure I’d only picked up 15, but why would there be a problem if I bought more. She looked me in the eye and said “the coupon says buy 10 get 5 free and you bought more.” I had to hold back my chuckle and my slightly rising temper with this young lady. Before saying anything more, I glanced over at the grocery bagger. Thankfully she laughed out loud and told the cashier that the coupon just meant that I had to buy a minimum of 15 but I could buy more. The cashier just kind of looked at her and said, “Oh,” scanned the coupon without a problem and completed my transaction.
I walked out of the store shaking my head in disbelief. Hopefully the young cashier was new and was schooled in coupons and their use, but I imagine she’ll not make that mistake again.
Have you ever experienced an absurd situation like that? I was certainly glad there was the experienced bagger there so I didn’t have to try and get the cashier to understand what the coupon meant. I think the young bagger needs a promotion to cashier.

No comments:

Post a Comment